Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Spanda baby

Today I taught a class at Avenues Yoga. My theme was on pulsation (spanda). We talked about how everything is in pulsation: your breath, heart, the days, seasons, thoughts, moods, whats happening in your job, relationships, even the smallest atomic particle that can be scientifically measured is in a state of expansion and contraction. I wanted the students to experience this pulsation in a non-reactive way.

I have myself experienced getting attached to certain pulsations, the when things naturally change it causes a lot of distress. However if we can let the pulsation happen, acknowledge it may not be what we want but that this is normal, like the old chiche goes "the only thing constant is change". So pause for a moment and if there is an area in your life that doesn't feel like it is going smoothly remind yourself that it is part of the pulsation. There is also alot of yoga study about negative patterns showing up over and over again (sansakars).

I also pointed out that mercury is in retrograde. Sometimes mercury passes the sun in rotation and this is a good time to be thinking about the future, inventing things, and making plans. However when mercury is in retrograde it is moving back behind the sun so it is a very appropriate time to revise what is happening in your life. To be non-reactive. Mercury in retrograde always makes my mind go vata, very windy and all over the place.

We opened the hips and the shoulders, peak pose was dancer. Main principles was expanding spiral (inner spiral) and contracting spiral (outer spiral). We also worked on kidney loop. After class multiple students came and gave me hugs and said how much they enjoyed the class and how good they feel. This makes my heart smile big. That gave me confidence and put al ittle shuffle in my step :) After yoga I worked with Soul Garden preparing for a beautiful wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Intention and Testimonials

Testimonials & My Intention

My Intention It is my intention as a yoga teacher to help you bring more health and vibrancy to your body, ease and alertness to your mind...