Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Abhyanga

I love practicing this Ayurvedic self massage technique. Especially during the fall and the winter to help balance my vata dosha and keep my skin nice and moisturized. When I feel my mind getting really flightly and full of clutter it is a sign that I need to bust out my oil and practice abhyanga.

Abhyanga is an Ayurvedic treatment you can do for yourself. Like food for your skin, warm oil (sesame, sunflower or coconut) massaged into your body relieves fatigue and rejuvenates the mind and body while lubricating the joints and making the skin soft and supple. This is traditionally performed in the morning to get your circulation moving and remove the toxins that accumulate during the night. However you can also try it in the evening to promote restful sleep.

In Sanskrit the word sneha means both “oil” and “love”, Abhyanga is like saturating yourself with love! Let the oil soak in for up to 15 minutes to penetrate the subtle channels, then take a hot bath or shower.

The benefits are numerous and include; soft, supple, beautiful skin, tones the muscles, lubricates the joints, slows down aging, nourishes the body, promotes restful sleep, stimulates the systems of the body, enhances circulation, calms the nervous system, increases immunity…

A nice wintertime habit is to massage warm sesame oil into your feet before bedtime. Wear a pair of natural fiber socks so you dont get oil all over your sheets.  In addition, if you find yourself dry from the heater always running, anoint your nostrils and ears with sesame oil.

 Use organic sesame oil, and warm the oil by rubbing it between your hands before applying.      

Here is a good youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEFWVqREgps

No comments:

Post a Comment

Intention and Testimonials

Testimonials & My Intention

My Intention It is my intention as a yoga teacher to help you bring more health and vibrancy to your body, ease and alertness to your mind...