Wednesday, September 1, 2010

wednesday

Today I had a nice walk with dharma as the sun came up. It was chillier then normal which reminded me that it was the first of September and we would be transitioning into fall soon. As I walked toward the park I thought of this word transition and it reminded me of something john said this weekend. He called someone out (which was scary I didn’t want him to call me out if I was making a mistake but JF is so smart I know if he did call me out I would learn a great lesson and I would need it). Anyways he called this man out by saying that he lifted his finger pads between up dog and down dog and that we need to stay committed, discipled and present even within the transition, I am paraphrasing. This reminded me of the seasons changing. It s easy to unplug and not fully notice and appricate the changing of the seasons. But when you are present you can delight in every sensation, every leaf, ever breeze. It is in these transitions hat we learn about our self and how we handle change…

Anyways after the walk I rode to school had three classes and biked home. Wasn’t as productive as I would have liked. I went to teach my yoga class at the yoga center and was feeling alit distracted. As usual I was over thinking my theme. I told myself that I don’t need to have a set theme, I don’t need to rehearse it in my head, I don’t need to pre plan how it will connect the main teaching points I wanted to emphasis. When I went to class I really had no idea what the theme was going to be. I had about 10 options I was thinking about. Before class started a regular student came up to me and told me “I don’t want you to change your theme or sequence but I am having a hard day my shoulders hurt, and I have a head ache” we had a small talk and I recommended she not do any vinyasa and I pointed out compassionate that is was in her nature to do every vinyasas but it would be a good opportunity to notice the ego and not participate in the extra chaturanga and back bend. (She ended up doing many vinyasas). But that comment sparked a theme: always do you best. I have used a similar theme before. Trying to do your best is very important because it means that you are doing the best you can. It requires you to look at your stuff, what going on outside of class, and what you a have brought onto your matt. It requires awareness and it always you to feel satisfied because you know you did your best. I winged the whole theme. It was great. I even mentioned how one of the things that was reaffirmed after studying with JF this weekend was the power of our practice. That what we do on the mat can help us shift tremendously. Taking what is no longer serving us and taking that energy and transforming it. As john says “turning ash to gold”. The class was great. After class I asked if anyone had any requests or areas they wanted to focus on next week and one of the students (the one I was talking with earlier) said just that I be present. This made me feel so good. Another regular student gave me a hug and thanked me for the class. This was so great. It reminded me that I have something to offer. And I am beginning to realize that students are enjoying it more when I am spontaneous and authentic then planned and rehearsed. Not that planned and rehearsed doesn’t mean I am not being authentic but it might mean I am putting too much thought into it and I should just be spontaneous and inspired by the energy and questions I the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Intention and Testimonials

Testimonials & My Intention

My Intention It is my intention as a yoga teacher to help you bring more health and vibrancy to your body, ease and alertness to your mind...