Saturday, May 11, 2013

Pregnant First Trimester

Month 1

Week 3 right after positive home pregnancy test



We had been trying to conceive for over 7 cycles. I had missed my period but I didn't think I was pregnant, I thought I didn't ovulate and was telling the doctor that at my regular check up appointment. She had me pee on a stick just in case. To my HAPPY surprise it was positive. After I went straight to Whole Foods, bought a bun, went home and put it in the oven with the positive pee test on top and asked Tyler to look in the oven. He was confused at first and I pointed to my belly and said "there is a bun in this oven".

Week 4

Put a tattoo on my belly that says "baby dust" for good luck

4 was a scary week. They did lots of blood tests and I was told my levels were to low and that I would probably miss carry. I put a tattoo on my belly that said baby dust for good luck.
  • Size of Baby ? Poppy seed
  • This week's major developments: This week marks the beginning of the embryonic period. From now until 10 weeks, all of your baby's organs will begin to develop and some will even begin to function. As a result, this is the time when she'll be most vulnerable to anything that might interfere with her development. Right now your baby is an embryo the size of a poppy seed, consisting of two layers: the epiblast and the hypoblast, from which all of her organs and body parts will develop.(from www.babycenter.com)
  • Gender? No idea. Tyler's Grandma is making a blue blanket for the baby and Tyler thinks its a boy too.
  • Food Cravings? Have been eating more. The morning before I went to the doctors I told Tyler "I cant believe the appetite I have".     
  • What I Miss? Taking intense yoga classes, doing big twists and long held inversions.    
  • What I am loving? THAT I AM PREGNANT.
  • Movement? To soon for that.
  • Symptoms? Miss period, sore boobies, hungry.
  • Best Moment of the Week? At the very end of week four when we met with our OB he apologized for giving us such a scare and told us our HGC (pregnancy hormone) numbers look "normal" now.
  • Worse moment: all the HGC blood draws, anxiously anticipating the doctors phone calls to find out if they were going up or down.
  • Exercise? 30 min gentle walks with the dogs
  • Yoga? I've still be teaching, but my practice has changed a ton especially with the MC scare. I did take a restorative yoga class one time this week.
  • Meditation? Pranayama (breath work)? Yes. Everyday. 5 mins nadi shodanan (alternative nostril breathing) 5-10 mins meditation.
  • Affirmations? "I am happy healthy and pregnant! My baby is happy and healthy"
  • Maternity Clothes? nope

     Month 2


Week 5

last day of the 5th week my hgc levels were looking good! We were so happy!


  • Size of Baby ?      Sesame Seed; looks like a tadpole. 
  • This week's major developments: Deep in your uterus your embryo is growing at a furious pace. At this point, he's about the size of a sesame seed, and he looks more like a tiny tadpole than a human. He's now made up of three layers — the ectoderm, the mesoderm, and the endoderm — which will later form all of his organs and tissues. In the meantime, the primitive placenta and umbilical cord, which deliver nourishment and oxygen to your baby, are already on the job. (www.babycenter.com)
  • Gender? Way to soon.
  • Food Cravings? Still hungry all the time. Been eating lots of leafy greens and veggies. First craving: saltines and cream cheese.     
  • What I Miss?      My regular yoga practice.
  • What I am loving? Being PREGNANT!!
  • Movement? to soon
  • Symptoms? Exhaustion. I used to be really against taking naps because I could never take a nap and have a good night sleep. Not any more I can take a 1-2 hour nap during the day and then fall asleep by 10 at nights. The extra rest is awesome. Feeling tired all the time, not so much. Boobs are still tender, hugs even hurt. I have also had some bursts of energy and used it to clean the house.
  • Best Moment of the Week? So many!! We told my mother in law we were pregnant on Saint Paddies Day when we were 5 weeks 2 days pregnant while we making Ukrainian eggs. I told my sister I was pregnant when we were 5 weeks 5 days. I sent her a snapshot of multiple pregnancy tests and then we talked on the phone it was a great experience. We took my father in law out to breakfast to tell him. We told my dad when we were 5 weeks 6 days by going out to dinner. It is so great to share our happy happy news with people close to us. We were surprised most people guessed that why we had invited them out. We thought we were so sneaky. We also got an ultra sound out 5 weeks 3 days and they saw the gestational sack and the yolk and said that's all they would expect to see this early.
  • Exercise? Walking the dogs 30mins gently. Still so tired.
  • Yoga? Gentle stretches and restore poses
  • Meditation? Pranayama (breath work)? Yes daily!! this has been such a treat for me and the baby. 5 mins alternative nostril breathing 5-10 mins meditation. Have also been doing a 10 min meditation at night before bed.
  • Affirmations? same as last week "I am happy healthy and pregnant! My baby is happy and healthy". I have also been doing Reiki on my belly, which is an energetic massage modality saying "I give light and love, and receive light and love... this is for my baby"
  • Maternity Clothes? Nope, although my belly is growing. I think its some weight gain plus bloat. It helps that I live in yoga pants.     
    

Week 6

6 weeks 1 day

  • Size of Baby? Lentil or grain of rice
  • This week's major developments: This week's major developments: The nose, mouth, and ears that you'll spend so much time kissing in eight months are beginning to take shape. If you could see into your uterus, you'd find an oversize head and dark spots where your baby's eyes and nostrils are starting to form. His emerging ears are marked by small depressions on the sides of the head, and his arms and legs by protruding buds. His heart is beating about 100 to 160 times a minute — almost twice as fast as yours — and blood is beginning to course through his body. His intestines are developing, and the bud of tissue that will give rise to his lungs has appeared. His pituitary gland is forming, as are the rest of his brain, muscles, and bones. Right now, your baby is a quarter of an inch long, about the size of a lentil.(www.babycenter.com)
  • Gender? Don't know.
  • Food Cravings?     Hungry all the time. Cravings: pizza & macadamia cookies.  
  • What I Miss?      My yoga practice. I am being gentle with myself now especially until we see the heart beat and are told things are good.
  • What I am loving? Being pregnant! Knowing there are two heart in me.
  • Movement? Not yet.
  • Symptoms? Exhaustion! acne, tender boobies, extreme hunger, nausea, and feeling car sick all the time. 
  • Best Moment of the Week? Seeing baby's heart beat on ultrasound!!! Risks of miscarriages (which are higher first trimester) drop significantly after you see or hear the heart beat.
  • Exercise? Hula hooped, stationary biked, and walked dogs.
  • Yoga? Gentle stretching.
  • Meditation? Pranayama (breath work)? Seated meditation 10 mins, breath work 10 mins, and energy work.
  • Affirmations? "I am happy healthy and pregnant! My baby is happy and healthy and developing perfectly"
  • Appointments? I went to my nutrition/acupuncture doctor and he gave me some more minerals and also did some acupuncture on me to help me calm down and visualize the pregnancy being a healthy 9 months ending with a healthy baby. I find myself worrying a lot about all the bad things that can happen. I have been continuing to visualize the good. Like hearing the heart beat, my growing belly, finding out the gender, feeling the baby move, giving birth and meeting my little bundle of joy...
    3rd ultrasound! after not seeing anything the first ultra sound, and not seeing the baby the second i was very nervous for the third ultra sound. Everything looked great saw baby and babies heart beat at 132 bpm. We also got a picture of the ultra sound currently on the fridge so we can see our little pea in the pod all the time!
  • Maternity Clothes? Looked at some at Target and bought some non maternity but flow dresses to conceal my belly that will be growing.
     

Week 7

  • Size of Baby ? blue berry
  • This week's major developments: Hands and feet are emerging from developing arms and legs — although they look more like paddles at this point than the tiny, pudgy extremities you're daydreaming about holding and tickling. Technically, your baby is still considered an embryo and has something of a small tail, which is an extension of her tailbone. The tail will disappear within a few weeks, but that's the only thing getting smaller. Your baby has doubled in size since last week and now measures half an inch long, about the size of a blueberry. (babycenter.com)
  • Gender?  Should know in 10 + weeks. I have been informed that based off heart beat and placement of baby I am having a boy. My husband also told me this week that before we found out we were pregnant he really wanted a boy and was terrified of a girl. Now he doesn't care and will be extremely happy either way. 
  • Sleep? Taking around 3 pee breaks a night but other then that I am sleeping well.
  • Food Cravings? In the beginning of the week I was craving so much Mexican food. Actually anything with carbs I want and if you put cheese on it I want it even more. I have been really turned off by veggies, so trying to drink my veggies and force feeding myself salads here and there, or loading up my sandwiches with lots of veggies.
  • What I Miss? My yoga practice, mountain biking in the spring sunshine with my husband and our dogs, being able to clean the house, scrub the bathtub (chemicals are harmfull) or paint some walls in the house. SO GRATEFUL TO BE PREGNANT.
  • What I am loving? That I am carrying out baby inside of me. If you know me you know I am a lover of flowers... I feel like I am growing my own little flower in me and it is amazing. I also enjoy day dreaming about the future with Tyler. Oh and indulging on craving that I normally wouldn't eat.
  • Movement? Nope
  • Symptoms? Nausea has come in full force. I am so sick in the morning it is hard to get out of bed but I know if I can get something in my stomach I normally feel better. I teach 5 classes in the morning so it has been really hard to get up and to class. At 7 weeks 1 day I pulled over driving to class to throw up or more accurately dry heave. Boobs are still sore, I am still really hungry all the time, and I've been a little hormonal. I try to remind myself just like I have twice the number of hearts in me I also have twice the hormones.
  • Best Moment of the Week? On Saturday we got to celebrate Tyler's grandparents 60 years of marriage! One of the things we did to celebrate was take professional photographs in a garden with Aunts, Uncles, Sisters, Brothers, Cousins and Grandparents. We got the photographer in on our announcement and as she took pictures she said "say cheese" "say whiskey" "say Kim is pregnant". It took everyone a little bit of time to connect the dots and then there were a lot of hugs and smiles. It was a great moment.
  • Exercise? Dog walking, and walking with friends with their babies.
  • Meditation? Pranayama (breath work)? 5 mins seated meditation in morning and at night. Sometimes done in bed.
  • Affirmations?  Shortened my affirmation this week: "My baby is healthy"
  • Maternity Clothes?      No clothes yet, although things are getting tighter and I am getting bigger. You would think the baby would be bigger then a blueberry. I did buy myself 2 prenatal massage appointments from Groupon and I also got a fetal Doppler so we can listen to the heart beat but it hasn't come yet.
  • Appointments? We interviewed some midwifes and Birth Centers this week. It was very exciting. They went to good and I don't know which one to choose. Tyler has been really sweet and supportive. Although when it comes to making the final decision he says he loves both but since I will be the one giving birth its up to me. Talk about pressure!
  • Additional Comments? Made the mistake of buying a scale to see how much weight I am gaining. Wish I didn't know. Right now my food aversions are veggies and my cravings are carbs. Thank goodness for juice, prenatal vitamins, and fruit because other then that I am eating lots of carbs and cheese. The only time I don't feel nausea's is if i am putting food in my mouth. When I stop eating I feel sick, and if i haven't eaten yet I feel sick.

 Week 8

8 weeks 3 day


This made me laugh

Morning sickness at 12:30AM, way past my bedtime
  • Size of Baby ?     raspberry
  • This week's major developments: Your baby is growing at an amazing rate — about a millimeter every day — and now is the size of a large raspberry. Your little berry is looking a lot less reptilian (even though she has webbed fingers and toes, her tail is just about gone) and a lot more baby-like these days, as her lips, nose, eyelids, legs, and back continue to take shape. Her heart is beating at the incredible rate of 150 times per minute — about twice as fast as yours! And even though you can't yet feel it, she's now making spontaneous movements as she twitches her tiny trunk and limb buds. (http://www.whattoexpect.com)
    • Gender? To soon to find out but we have decided we are going to have a gender reveal party/ house warming party since we never had a house warming party. It has been fun day dreaming.
    • Sleep? Like clockwork I get heartburn at 10:30 and I have been feeling sick to my stomach late into the night, Ive been staying up until 1am (which is very out of the norm for me) because I have been so sick. I am taking a good nap almost daily. Its been great our cute German short hair puppy cuddles with me.
    • Food Cravings? Food hasn't been sounding as good to me after being sick for so long. I have been eating lots of fruit: pineapple, cantaloupe have been the babies favorite as well as strawberries, blueberries..
    • What I Miss? Having energy. It takes so much energy just to clean the house looking forward to the second trimester burst of energy I keep reading about.
    • What I am loving? Being pregnant is starting to feel more and more real which is really exciting. I am also starting to worry a little less about something going wrong, although I still cant wait to be out of the first trimester!
    • Movement? Nope
    • Symptoms? Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, fatigue, hick-ups, tender boobs, and vivid crazy dreams.
    • Best Moment of the Week? We have decided to go on a trip to Mexico with my sister and mom in 7 weeks. I cant wait!
    • Exercise? Dog walking
    • Yoga? I have been missing my yoga so much I have added a very gentle prenatal yoga home practice. Lots of gentle sitting and stretching and prop usage.
    • Affirmations? "My baby is healthy"
    • Maternity Clothes?     I have been looking at maternity clothes for our trip to Mexico. Hoping to be rocking a baby bump by then.
    • Appointments? Not this week. We are just trying to decide between the two awesome midwifes we have narrowed it down to!

    Month 3 

    Only one more month til I am out of the first trimester!!

    Week 9

     
    wow growing belly
    9 weeks 4 days after giving a yoga private and a massage bolted to bathroom.
  • Size of Baby ?     Grape or green olive
  • This week's major developments: Your new resident is nearly an inch long — about the size of a grape — and weighs just a fraction of an ounce. She's starting to look more and more human. Her essential body parts are accounted for, though they'll go through plenty of fine-tuning in the coming months. (babycenter.com)
    • Gender?   Should know between 6 and 11 weeks
    • Sleep?  I am napping all the time. Its awesome.
    • Food Cravings?  I am still getting craving for Mexican food. Although at the moment thinking about Mexican food makes me want to puke.
    • What I Miss? Handstands
    • What I am loving? Telling some more people I am pregnant and being able to talk about it.
    • Movement? to soon
    • Symptoms? Exhausted, nausea, very vivid dreams, and hormonal.
    • Best Moment of the Week? I got a fetal heart rate monitor and have been listening to the babies heart beat. Its the most amazing and reassuring sound in the world.
    • Exercise? I have been extra tired this week and its been pretty rainy here but I have gone on a few walks. Today my longest walk yet while preggo, we went for an hour hike. It was lovely.
    • Yoga?  No. But I have been wanting to practice so bad.
    • Maternity Clothes?    Bought my first maternity outfit. A swimsuit for Mexico!! 
    • Appointments?  Had our first appointment with our midwife on Thursday. She thinks I might be further along in my pregnancy so we are doing an ultrasound tomorrow for dating!

    Week 10

  • Size of Baby ?     Prune or kumquat
  • This week's major developments: Though he's barely the size of a kumquat — a little over an inch or so long, crown to bottom — and weighs less than a quarter of an ounce, your baby has now completed the most critical portion of his development. This is the beginning of the so-called fetal period, a time when the tissues and organs in his body rapidly grow and mature. He's swallowing fluid and kicking up a storm. Vital organs — including his kidneys, intestines, brain, and liver (now making red blood cells in place of the disappearing yolk sac) — are in place and starting to function, though they'll continue to develop throughout your pregnancy.
  •  
    at 10 weeks I went to get an ultra sound down because my midwife thought the dates were off...She was right. The Ultrasound put me at 11 weeks one down so skipping week 10 and moving onto 11. But first some pictures... The baby was dancing and moving around for us. It waved when we first looked and I told Ty it was waving at him. Baby had a strong heartbeat of 171 bpm. I'm a happy momma to be.










    Week 11

  • Size of Baby ?     Fig!
  • This week's major developments: Your baby (now about two inches long) has been pretty busy this week, growing hair follicles, fingernails, and ovaries (if she's a girl). She has distinct human characteristics by now, with hands and feet in front of her body, with ears nearly in their final shape, open nasal passages on the tip of her tiny nose, a tongue and palate in the mouth, and visible nipples. What else makes her look human? Those hands and feet have individual fingers and toes (meaning good-bye to those frog like webbed hands and feet). Hooray! (www.whattoexpect.com)
  • Gender? 4-9 weeks until we find out. A lot of people are guessing boy. 
  • Sleep? I have been having a hard time going to bed. I have been staying up til 12am or 1am just laying in bed, which is very late for me. But once a sleep its lovely and I have still been enjoy day naps.
  • Food Cravings? Cheese Burgers. And for all of you who knew I was a vegetarian for 10 years are probably as shocked as me and Tyler. An old wife tale says if you are craving salty and/ or protein foods your having a boy and if you are craving sweets your having a girl. According to this we are definitely having a boy.
  • What I Miss? Yoga! Not needing to remember to be safe. I realised this week I wont be able to go cliff diving this summer. Baby = Totally worth it!!!
  • What I am loving? That I moved forward in time and will be out of the first trimester faster then I thought. So excited to not be sick all the time. I also loved seeing the baby on the ultra sound, watching the baby move, watching Tyler be so mesmerized by it. He said "wow it feels so much more real now that it looks like a human" ultra sound tech said "theirs definitely a human in there, you are having a baby!".
  • Movement? The baby is moving but I wont be able to feel it for a few more weeks.
  • Symptoms? Exhaustion, nausea, mood swings, and stuffy nose.
  • Best Moment of the Week? Ultra Sound. Hearing that baby is doing god.
  • Exercise? The last 2 days of the week I had a little energy, which was awesome! I did some hula hooping. Tyler and I rode the tandem bike to Liberty Park for a picnic. I lifted weights 2 times this week.
  • Yoga?  Nope. But I talked to one of my favorite teachers about doing some privates during my pregnancy which I am incredibly excited about!
  • Meditation? I have been doing lots of mediation with Salley Kempton. I have been taking her classes on line and doing some online corresponding courses with her. Salley is a disciple of the great Indian guru Swami Muktananda, she spent twenty years as a teaching swami (monk) in the Saraswati order of Indian monks. In her guru’s ashram, she deeply versed in the teachings and practices of Vedanta and Kashmir Shaivism.
  • Pranayama?  Nadi Shodhana, Instructions: close your right nostril with your thumb. Inhale through your left nostril, then close it with your ring-little fingers. Open and exhale slowly through the right nostril. Keep the right nostril open, inhale, then close it, and open and exhale slowly through the left. That is one cycle and then you continue. Ive been doing 5-10 mins and normally follow the breath work with meditation.
  • Affirmations? "My baby is healthy" We had a little scare this week after having some cramping I went to see my on call midwife and she couldn't find the heartbeat and ordered another ultra sound. I managed my stress and tried to stay calm by repeating this mantra. Everything turned out great. baby was alive, heart beating, and moving.
  • Maternity Clothes? Yes I got a maternity tank top. I should have also gotten some shorts. None of my shorts or jeans fit anymore so I am in soccer shorts, yoga pants (thank goodness i have so many and they stretch) and PJ bottoms.
  • Appointments? Ultra sound appointment first day of the 11 week. Unscheduled visit to on call midwife, and another ultra sound the following day. It was a busy week.

  • Week 12

    We made our facebook announcement this week with these two pictures (thanks mom for taking them)

     
  • Size of Baby ?     Plum or lime
  • This week's major developments: The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder. (www.babycenter.com)
  • Gender? Hoping to find out in 2-3 weeks. SO EXCITED to stop referring to this little bean as an "it". My parents didn't find out our sex. My dad sent me an email saying they didn't want to pick at the Christmas presents before they were delivered. Ha-ha we are definitely finding out.
  • Sleep? Pretty good. Although have been waking up a lot sneezing.
  • Food Cravings? Cheese burgers.
  • What I Miss? I love being pregnant. What a blessing. 
  • What I am loving? I'm getting my energy back. This week I have been able to work out, go biking with Tyler, hang out with friends several times, get together with my mom, write blogs, do some website work. Starting to feel more like myself.
  • Movement? Nope not yet! Cant wait til I do!
  • Symptoms? Bloated, nausea, stuffy nose, head aches, and tired.
  • Best Moment of the Week? We posted our announcement on facebook (pics above). It felt so much more real after we "told the world" i.e facebook. The likes, comments, text messages, and phone calls I got was overwhelmingly wonderful. So great to spread our happy news.
  • Exercise? I have been doing some Popsugar fitness workouts on Hulu.com, they are only ten mins so I have been able to muster up the strength and enthusiasm a few times a week. It feels terrific to move my body. I have also been going on longer walks and hikes. On Friday I walked for an hour and a half with a friend and her baby at the park and then took the dogs on an hour hike. The next day my legs we sooo soar.  
  • Yoga? No.
  • Pranayama? Sama Vritti (Equal Breathing) Instructions: begin a slow count to four as you inhale. Then also count to four as you exhale. This breath exercise is to match the length of your inhale and exhale.
  • Affirmations? "My baby is healthy"
  • Maternity Clothes? No but I am daydreaming about getting some shorts that fit. Definitely am in need of some. Dresses, yoga pants and pajama bottoms are working for now.    
  • Appointments? No appointment this week. Next appointment in two weeks.

  •  

    4 comments:

    1. I am one of those women who delayed motherhood until the age of 40. I was fit and healthy, ate well and practiced yoga. I had no idea that trying to become pregnant would be so difficult. But I managed to get pregnant by following this method: email this great man God is using to help the needing via: ogbidihomeofsolution1@gmail.com or whatsapp/call him on +2348026905065

      ReplyDelete
    2. This article was written by a real thinking writer. I agree many of the with the solid points made by the writer. I’ll be back. Ų­ŁˆŲ§Ł…Ł„

      ReplyDelete
    3. Ų­ŁˆŲ§Ł…Ł„ Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading.

      ReplyDelete
    4. nice post, keep up with this interesting work. It really is good to know that this topic is being covered also on this web site so cheers for taking time to discuss this! pregnancy test

      ReplyDelete

    Intention and Testimonials

    Testimonials & My Intention

    My Intention It is my intention as a yoga teacher to help you bring more health and vibrancy to your body, ease and alertness to your mind...